Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Descriptive Writing

Descriptive writing in IGCSE is often considered the more demanding of the two options during the exam (narrative and descriptive), as rather than simply rambling on, it requires a relatively strong vocabulary to describe the relevant mood, creative and original syntheses of images, and fluency. It also requires touching on certain devices and points, like literary devices (metaphors, similes, onomatopoeia, etc.) and the five senses. You must also include variation: not only of sentence lengths, but also types (for example, starting with different sentences). Overall, your aim is to show, NOT tell. 

This video: 'Mr. Bruff's Tips for Descriptive Writing' would definitely be helpful in understanding these tips better. This link: https://igcse-revision.wikispaces.com/Descriptive+Writing provides you of the understanding of the kinds of devices you should use, but I'm not here for that. 

I'm here to show you what your answer should look like and other tips rather than the simple list of english literature conventions. I saw maybe one or two sample answers during my entire IGCSE, and that's what really made a difference to my writing

Here's an example of descriptive writing that I've written up to give you an example of what it should look like, as I've found that a sample answer often proves to be more valuable than anything else:

Describe the scene and atmosphere when you visit a theme park, fairground or carnival.

The sweltering heat seemed to mitigate as brilliant blue sky mellowed into a placid orange, the salty sea breeze spraying onto the light brown boardwalk. The pink cotton candy sticks were like the feathery clouds dotting the sky, but those clouds above weren't nearly as sugary or fluffy. Only static black thread and toothpicks molded into an infant’s building blocks from afar, the bright multicolored lights flashed here and there on the solid spinning structures as I gaped in awe from the mobbed ticket booth. 

Shrill screams burst out. Creaking metal clash. Clowns guffawed. But together, with the jovial, timeless carnival music accompanied by giggles of laughter from prancing children, a mellifluous tune was composed. Overwhelmed by a strong scent, I became a hound dog, searching for the source - was it the gooey, cheesy-caramel mix of popcorn? Or wafts of the rich, indulgent burger flowing from the small cafe? A man held the sides of a filthy tall trash can, retching, his face dunked in, his whole body wriggling like a caterpillar. Food - later. 

Like a thin stream of ants to a lollipop, people trickled into line, which was getting longer than the 250 foot drop itself, and would take longer than four seconds. Chattering like monkeys, they were oblivious to the lengthy stretch, prattling on and on about the supreme banana that they would experience in around an hour. They were as enraged as bears as I flashed my VIP pass, gritting their teeth as if ready to take a bite out of me. And I, like a fluffy rabbit, hid my face and scuttled quickly away from the scowls of the predators. 

Floating with the clouds, the ferris wheel was a rolling bracelet, the water slide a twisted loop of string, the cable cars moving marbles. It looked just as small and tidy as the map on my brochure - ah!  I had felt weightless - my stomach was in my throat, my sweaty hands clenched the seat, my eyes popped open. I was shaking like a tambourine, yet a wide grin rested on my face, like my comrades. 

Giant fluffy bears, elephants, and dogs, their arms outstretched, beckoned me over to small shops, where money was sure to go down the drain. The ring was to be placed on the giant open mouth, and three would result in a perfect marriage - me and my lion. One, two and three! I had emerged victorious from the exhilarating battle. Lugging my trophy around as a sign of great skill (perhaps luck), licking a triple-scooped rocky road ice cream cone, envy shone on every child’s face as they gawked at me. I lived the life of a child as an adult, for that brief evening.

-----

Of course, there are some uncomfortable phrases that don't fit in - I've highlighted one of them. Your image needs to be likened to that of a wider audience rather than simply something that may make somewhat sense to you. What that highlighted portion was supposed to be was the black shadow of roller coasters in various shapes as the sun set behind the park, but that clearly was not able to convey its message to the audience. Therefore think about each image and if it's clear to you and will be clear to the examiner. Try to find a better way to illustrate the highlighted phrase, and try to do the same with phrases with your writing. 

Most of descriptive writing is simply imagining a familiar scene in your head, and looking at each individual aspect, then trying to put all of those aspects together in an interesting way. It all comes with practice and feedback, and continuing that loop until perfect (though for english, there's almost always room for improvement).

I'll continue to post more essays to allow give a better idea of what a descriptive answer should look like.


29 comments:

  1. really good, recommended this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is really, really helpful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teachers are giving SA from this website and students can copy them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's up to teachers to recognize when students are plagiarizing work and up to students to be honest and realize that copying answers isn't going to help them on the final exam, when they won't know what question will be asked. I don't think it's fair to take down resources that are helping the majority just because a minority may be using them dishonestly.

      Delete
  4. One thing I would say is that it is in the wrong tense to the question

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - in hindsight, I should have written it in present tense. Thanks for pointing this out!

      Delete
  5. do you have a website for english ib as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not - I have taken English Lang & Lit SL, though, so if you need help with that feel free to email me!

      Delete
  6. I really need help with literature if you could help me. my teacher is very ‘stupid’ and I have 3 months till my final igcse exams. i dont even know how to properloy frame an answer and how many quotes/points i need to present

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Het, feel free email me if you need help! I can talk about this in greater detail.

      Delete
  7. We dont use 'I' in descriptive writings - its an observation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you give advice on other type of writing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good! I'm sooo impressed, at least now I know, what my teacher was actually expecting from me, and that I gave her serious bullshit!


    ReplyDelete
  10. Very impressive. But for your descriptive essay, shouldn't be not include the narrator performing any actions that adds to any form of plotline?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mood and imagery was excellent! I felt, even I was in a theme park. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i dont think i would ever be able to write something like this

      Delete
  13. This was really helpful thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  14. How do you write so good? Please give some tips

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you help me in English IGCSE

    ReplyDelete