Tuesday, December 27, 2016

DAY 3, ESSAY #3

Describe your feelings and reactions when you realize you have lost a very important item. [25]

I kept glancing at the bleachers, craning my neck over the bouncing pool of people, like a gazelle flinching to the slightest movement in the tall, dancing prairie grass. ‘The safest spot’ Elaine had said, the stronghold safe, where nothing could penetrate - laying in the gaps between the planks of metal was my black, leathery purse. That shiny penny’s buckle gleamed against the spots of flashing multicolored disco lights. 

Each jerk and kick, each twist and turn towards the right hand, upper corner of the wall of the metal acted as an impetus to my countless worried grimaces, my popping eyes, my hand reaching absently at my side, longing for the reassuring ‘click’ of the clip’s closing. The sloshing, fruity punch could wet it, the cheesy, saucy pizza could blemish it, and the harsh beats of the pounding music could only shatter it, leaving only a tainted white sand. 

Shrill screams rang out, bursts of long wails like lava oozing out of a trembling volcano. I ran at the speed of light, sprang with kangaroo feet, reaching and clawing into the depths of the vast emptiness, only to abandon my heart and let it sink into the depths of guilt. Using my mellifluous voice, I persuaded my friends to  into an intensive search party, but somehow I heard barking, coarse screeches parting from my matted lips as I awkwardly scooted on the cold, bare ground, running my hands over each diminutive nook and cranny. 

As I closed my eyes, pictures began to emerge - father handing it to me, a small cemetery, and raindrops blending in with the tears on my cheek as I carefully clasped it in my hands. I pinched myself once, twice - leaving not this nightmare but a red bruise in its place. The empty hands of my returning team caused eyeliner to streak down, staining my beautiful white dress. I had left no stone unturned. Adrenaline coursed through my veins, adamant to either fly away from mother’s soft, disappointing eyes, or fight the damned figure swinging the golden chains of my priceless purse. My eyes blazed in fury, seeking revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment